Powell Continuous Sodium Hypochlorite Wet Chlorine Process System
The sodium hypochlorite process is a unique process utilizing wet vapor chlorine and sodium hydroxide (caustic) directly from a chlor-alkali process. It will safely produce high quality bleach at a minimum operating cost. The plant is equipped with numerous safety devices which are intended to shut down the system in the event of a process upset. The plant is completely automatic and requires only that someone be available if a process
The systems are available in various production rates. Standard systems are rated for 1, 3, 6, and 9 short tons per hour of liquid chlorine. Systems using vapor chlorine will be de-rated. Each system has an adjustable production rate and is able to produce strengths up to 200 grams per liter available chlorine. The bleach strength and residual caustic levels are controlled at very high tolerances and can be adjusted at any time during production. Systems are completely skid mounted on a structural steel frame approximately 30’ long x 12’ wide x 30’ high. The system can be designed (as shown in picture) with an integrated chlorine scrubber system. This would increase the width of the system to 24’.
Bleach producers using the Powell Continuous System will considerably reduce the man-hours required to manufacture bleach in comparison to other bleach production processes. One operator can produce as much as 220,000 gallons of 200 grams per liter bleach in a 24 hour day.
The continuous system also offers major cost savings in raw materials due to its 99% plus efficiency when compared with a 93-96% efficiency experienced in batch operations. This increase in efficiency results in a decrease in the amount of sodium chlorate produced. The Material Balance On-Line Interactive Tool helps quantify these savings in efficiency.
Due to an extremely high repeatability of the continuous system, considerable savings
are experienced from using fewer raw materials. Residual caustic levels can be lowered
and final product strengths can be closer to the producer’s guaranteed strength,
resulting in less product giveaway.
The type of cooling utilized by the continuous system also provides a major savings.
Mechanical refrigeration is typically required with other processes. The Powell
system utilizes cooling tower water for cooling resulting in considerable energy
savings, lower equipment costs, and lower maintenance costs.
Utility and Raw Material Requirements
The basic utility and raw material requirements are as follows:
- Wet vapor chlorine at maximum temperature of 40 C.
- Sodium hydroxide at a minimum pressure of 45 PSIG.
- Process water (typically soft water) at a minimum pressure of 45 PSIG.
- Cooling water at a maximum temperature of 85° F.
- Instrument quality dry air at a minimum pressure of 80 PSIG.
- Three phase electricity for motors.
- Instrument quality power for control system.
Materials of Construction
Standard materials of construction are listed below. Other materials are available
- Process water and caustic: Schedule 40 stainless steel pipe and fittings.
- Chlorine: Schedule 80 CPVC pipe and fittings.
- Cooling water: Schedule 80 CPVC pipe and fittings.
- Sodium Hypochlorite: Schedule 80 CPVC pipe and fittings.
- Sodium Hypochlorite Pump: Titanium centrifugal pump with single mechanical seal.
- Sodium Hypochlorite Recycle Tank & Reaction Tower: Dual laminate FRP.
- Heat Exchangers: Plate and frame style with titanium plates and EPDM gaskets.
Construction Lead Time
Construction time for a continuous bleach system is typically seven months. The systems
are completely water tested and all control systems are thoroughly checked before
the system is shipped. After delivery, the purchaser must make all raw material
and electrical connections. After these connections are made, Powell technician(s)
will perform additional water testing, startup, and training. Startup is typically
performed in a relatively short time since the unit is completely tested at the
Whatever your sodium hypochlorite production volume, Powell can provide a Sodium Hypochlorite Processing System to meet your unique needs.